Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Life Soundtrack



Throughout my life I have grown to love many songs, and attached them to many moments, both fun and hard. In my life soundtrack only a few of these songs will be represented, but they are some of my favorites. These songs are me. They start from my first house in Sandy, to where I am now in Layton. From the little things like goofing off with my sisters to family vacations. These songs help to represent me, and the times I have gone through. This is a musical representation of me.



“She Will Be Loved” by Maroon 5



            This song reminds me of going camping when I was little, specifically when I was going to the dunes. I remember I was about ten when we went down there with my dogs. We were four-wheeling around our camp and we found these really cool trails. It was so much fun! This song for me is just representing time camping with my family. This is because whenever we would go camping after the day was over we would just sit around the fire and play games or sing songs. It was a lot of fun.



“Hey There Delilah” by Plain White T’s



            Anytime we were on our way camping, we would sing. That is kind of what our family calls car-eoke. We would just belt it on the top of our lungs, all of our favorite songs. This song represents time spent with my sisters, not having to worry about school, homework, or anything. This is one of the songs that we would belt. It was one of our favorites then and still is now. Even when we all have changed, this song, and what it means to us never will.



“Had a Bad Day” by Daniel Powter



            I was about four when my parents got divorced. I remember the day that my dad was leaving and I asked my mom why he was leaving, and if he could stay. I remember when I would wake up in the middle of the night, after a bad dream, and I would walk downstairs to his “office”. Really, it was just our basement. I would go down there and sit with him, and just watch him working on his computer. For me this song represents getting through the hard times, and coming out of it stronger. I think that the lyrics are just so appropriate.



♫Sometimes the system goes on the blink


And the whole thing turns out wrong


You might not make it back and you know


That you could be well oh that strong


And I'm not wrong

So where is the passion when you need it the most


Oh you and I


You kick up the leaves and the magic is lost

This song got me through some really difficult times in my life, and even though it is telling about sad times, it always cheered me up. It still does.

“Yellow” by Coldplay

           

            When I was little I would sit up in my room doing nothing for hours. I would listen to the sounds around me, and sing to myself. The main reason I liked this song so much though, was because it was my favorite color at the time. This was also one of the songs that helped comfort me when I was down. It seemed… familiar and safe. This song made me happy. After I heard it, you could believe that I got the lyrics down pretty quick. I was constantly singing it. J This song just represents more of my childhood memories. Also, more times spent with my family, and the times spent by myself. I loved the lyrics in this song, they are just so mesmerizing.



♫Look at the stars

Look how they shine for you

And all the things that you do♫



“Up!” by Shania Twain



            We got a country song now! Growing up with all of my sisters, I was never really alone; no matter what I was doing I usually had someone there with me. This song reminds me of spring cleaning or random jam sessions in the middle of the day. It is like early mornings spent in the yard, or going on bike rides with my stepdad. There was that one bike ride where we were just going down the street, but my bike pedal ended up skimming the curb. I ended up skinning my elbows, yea, it wasn’t very fun after that…. This is what my mom listened to as I grew up so I came to love it. This song even more than the other songs is directly me. I have listened to this from the very beginning. Although Shania is not popular anymore, her songs are still my favorite country songs.



“Over My Head” by The Fray



            One of my first trips to Hawaii was in the fourth grade. We were staying in a condo on Maui, or maybe it was Oahu. I couldn’t sleep so I went over to my sister, who was sleeping on the bean bag chair thing, and I curled up next to her and we listened to her music. This song came on and soon after that I calmed down and I fell asleep. It was instant comfort. The music is so smooth and soft; I just couldn’t help but sleep. This song represents the calm, quiet, and peace in my life. That song that night was just so relaxing it really helped me, and I have never forgotten it.



“Waka Waka” by Shakira



            I honestly don’t know how my family came to love this song. It sort of just happened. This was more recent than my other stories, about a few months ago. We were driving to my grandmas and my mom had this song on her iPod. My sisters were driving either right in front of us or right behind us, who knows. My mom turned the volume way up and rolled down the windows at a stop light so that they could hear it too. They started dancing! It was the funniest thing ever, and since then it has just become our happy dance song. J







“We are young” by Fun.



            Whenever this is on the radio, or we play in on a computer, my sisters and I just start laughing, smiling, and singing. It is our favorite current pop song. We just goof off and sing.



♫ Tonight

We are young

So let’s set the world on fire

We can burn brighter

Than the sun ♫



We love this song because it is so true, kind of, just the chorus. :P We are young, and we want to just have fun.



“This is me” by Demi Lovato



            I first listened to this song maybe a week or two before my Rhapsody In Blue try out last year. I wanted to pick a song that represented how I felt. I chose this song because I was sick of being so shy that I missed out on such great opportunities. I wanted to give myself a chance and let people see the real me (cheesy right?). I am so glad that I took that chance because I made Rhapsody. This new experience has helped me discover who I am, and what I want to do with my life. I wanted to show that I was changing. I was going to let people see my personality, I didn’t want to be shy anymore. Because of this choice, it has helped me over come many challenges that I have faced, and be more true to myself.



“Spirit of Adventure” from Up – the movie



            Any vacation or trip you’ve gone on is a new adventure right? It’s always exciting. Everyone is having a good time, and doing new things. One trip kind of stood out for me, it was different. It was a road trip. Over spring break I went to California, but not the way that one might expect. Our first stop was in Tahoe, Nevada. It was snowing. We took this big loop then from Nevada to California, then back to Nevada, south this time, and back into Utah. Most of the time was spent in the car. Not. Even. Kidding. It was still fun though. It was cramped, but really fun. Vacations are like adventures. I’d never been on a road trip before, or really to California at all. We went and saw the Golden Gate Bridge, and many other things that I will never forget. Some parts were rough, talk about some suspicious looking hotels, but we got through them and we laughed about it. That’s an adventure.



“This One’s For The Girls” by Martina McBride



            This is another one of those songs that we would sing in the car, or the house, a lot. It is different though. This song has more meaning to me than any other song I have mentioned. This song brings back memories of holidays and family gatherings. When we listened to this with my mom she would sing it, but she would change the lyrics. Instead of saying This one’s for the girls, she would sing, This one’s for MY girls. It made us smile and giggle every time. It made us really happy. This reminded us of all of the things that she has done for us, and how she never gives up on us. She was making this song memorable, it has come to represent her. When I think of this song, I think of my mom. Well it worked, this song is definitely memorable.



            So you see? Music is my life. It is in every second in everyday. It is in my singing, my orchestra music, and constantly on my mind. These songs are just a few that have great meaning to me. I only wish that I had time to go through and think about all of the songs that have some significant meaning to me. I wish I had more time for music in my life, but you see, it has always been there. Whether I have realized it or not. Well, I hope you’ve had fun reading this and learning a little bit more about me, because I sure had fun writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment