Sunday, May 20, 2012

CRT's

So last week in my Honors English class we were asked to evaluate CRT's, or EOL's. Well, since I have such a big opinion on this subject, I thought I'd share it with you.

Ugh, don't even get me started on the subject of EOL's. These tests don't actually test any knowledge that a student knows. Most of the time it just tests their guessing abilities. Most of the things that are on CRT's or EOL's we never learn about, or they are test questions that have just been stuck in the test this year and don't actually count. CRT's don't test anything. If you really want to figure out how much a student knows then you should let them create their own assignment on a topic that they want to learn about. I think that tests, or assignments would be much more effective if they made them more relate-able. Almost every student dreads the CRT's when that day, or days, come. I think that grades are a little more accurate, but not by much. The assignments, like in English, are a little more relate-able. No test or assignment though will ever really show you how smart a student is, or how much they know. It will really only ever show you how much effort they put into it. These days it is becoming easier and easier for students to cheat on tests. With all of this technology that is available at the touch of a finger. You can find almost any answer to any question online, whether or not it is true is a different matter. Multiple choice tests are crap. Most students just guess on them, if they don't know the answer they are not going to try and reason it out. They will take that 25% chance that if they guess they will get it right. I think that essay tests, although harder, are a better test of knowledge. Unlike multiple choice, they actually make the student think and reason through the problem. Although they aren't favorable, they also won't be affective unless a student wants to write it. Honestly no test will ever truly measure some ones knowledge or how smart they are. Not test will work unless they want to do it, including CRT's, and believe me, no one will ever want to take the CRT's. They suck. I mean, it's not like they are always really hard, everybody just is so strung out at the end of the year and they don't really care any more. That's how I am now. This year has been challenging, all of my weekends have gone to homework, online or not. I wake up every Saturday to start on homework, so yea, I'm going to be strung out in the end of the year. I'm not going to be able to fully care about the CRT's, I'm just too exhausted.

The only CRT that might be affective is the math CRT, but even then not really. I mean seriously, do these people expect us to do our best? Do they expect us to want to take these stupid tests? The only reason we endure them is because we have to, and it means a day in class without assignments or homework. I seriously hate these tests. They are pointless. As I have said countless times in this blog already, it won't matter what the student knows if they don't want to take the test. It's all about motivation, and no student is going to have ANY motivation at the end of the year for a stupid, long test that they don't want to take. A test that is filled with random questions that relate to nothing. I'm just so sick of it. Ha, so yea... this post was kinda, angry I guess. Ah vel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment